Deliver network designs, perform implementations, secure, and provide troubleshooting support to Structured’s customers.
Structured Communication Systems is a leading information technology consultancy and systems integrator. We are experts at architecting and implementing secure and reliable solutions for delivering business applications, ensuring business continuity, enhancing data center performance and efficiency, enabling mobile workers, securing information assets and providing information security and governance.
Structured has an immediate opening for a Network Engineer (Cisco) in Chicago, Illinois. This position is a consulting role to deliver security designs, implementation and troubleshooting to Structured customers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily in order to meet the qualifications required to perform this job successfully. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Designs, installs, configures, troubleshoots, and manages Cisco Enterprise networking solutions.
- Configuration, troubleshoot, and manage Cisco Collaboration solutions.
- Researches, evaluates and recommends the selection of network-related tools and emerging technologies for clients.
- Interfacing with end-users for the purpose of designing and implementing network solutions and design recommendations.
- Translating business requirements into functional/technical specifications.
- Ability to work weekends and/or off hours as necessary to meet clients’ needs
- Responsible for increasing the probability of system success, reduce risk and reduce total life-cycle cost.
- Responsible for creating alternative designs to satisfy performance and cost criteria for customers.
- Assists engineers with complex technical tasks including debugging, supporting hardware modules and systems.
- Identifies and corrects faults and provides resolution of complex problem tickets escalated from Structured’s help desk.
- Assist sales personnel with pre-sales technical support; Leverage technical background to identify professional service opportunities in the areas of security, networking, storage/systems, virtualization, and voice/mobility.
- Supervising and checking the status of projects and work assignments.
- Documents designs and scopes projects in a clear, concise and accurate manner.
- Supports and provides knowledge transfer to clients.
- Provides input for professional service statements of work (“SOW”) and create SOW’s as directed and provide project management services (as needed).
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Promotes and maintains the highest standard of customer service at all times.
- Ability to maintain and continually develop accurate product and application knowledge.
- Overcomes technical and business objections posed by prospective customers.
- Proactively learn and utilize new technologies, concepts and procedures as necessary based upon project requirements.
- Ability to communicate at all levels of an organization from end-user to senior management about both business and IT needs.
- Excellent project management, project scoping, troubleshooting, problem resolution, documentation and customer management skills required.
Education and Experience Requirements
Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems or equivalent experience. At least 8 years’ experience consulting or industry experience working with Cisco Enterprise Networking technologies including some of the following:
- Previous experience providing solution design and implementation.
- Expert knowledge of the following routing protocols: OSPF, EIGRP, BGP.
- Significant field experience working with Cisco campus switching solutions such as Catalyst 9300, 9400, 9500, 6800, 3800, 4500, 6500. Experience working with Cisco DNA Center.
- Significant field experience working with Cisco wireless products including but not limited to: 5520, 8540, 8520, WISM2 Controllers. Cisco 4800, 3800, 2800 AP’s.
- Experience working with Cisco Prime Infrastructure for wireless management.
- Experience working with Cisco Meraki networking solutions such as MX, MR, MS. A firm understanding of the Meraki dashboard and cloud architecture.
- Excellent working knowledge of Cisco IOS and NX-OS.
- Detailed knowledge of layer 2 networking, including STP, VLANs and port channel/Etherchannel technology.
- Detailed knowledge of layer 3 networking, including dynamic routing protocols and HSRP/VRRP/GLBP.
- Cisco certifications including CCNP Route/Switch. CCIE Route Switch.
- Industry certifications such as CISSP, CISA or similar.
- Must have scripting and network automation skills.
- Experience working with Cisco Collaboration Solutions including but not limited to: Cisco Call Manager, Cisco Unity Connection, Webex Suite (Teams, Meetings, Calling), Cisco IM & Presence.
General Office Computer Skills
To perform this job successfully, an individual should be an experienced user of Microsoft Office Suite and have experience with a customer relationship management (CRM) tool, such as the Salesforce.com.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret quotes and reports. Ability to correspond, effectively present information, and respond to questions from employees, management, vendors and clients.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, stand, sit or step up to access equipment within a data center environment; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch and twist. The employee will occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The working conditions characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed in both a general office environment, as well as a data center environment. Within the general office environment both the lighting and temperature are generally moderate. The data center environment is generally cool in temperature and the lighting is moderate; the noise level in the data center environment is generally loud.
Must have a valid Driver’s License and the ability to travel to customer locations and other destinations for short to medium term projects. This position may also require an adjusted work schedule and evening hours in order to meet or attend vendor/customer needs. Flexibility to field phone calls or system alerts and provide remote and/or on-site support to clients outside of normal business hours, including weekends and holidays.
This position has no Supervisor Responsibilities.
Our organization provides a full compensation package that facilitates development and growth. The benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, group life and AD&D insurance, and long and short-term disability coverage and 401(k). We also provide training on mutually agreed upon professional goals through a combination of self-study courses, formal training, and on-the-job training. Obtaining industry-based certifications is highly encouraged.
*** We are interested in all qualified candidates that are eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas. ***
* Structured is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to supporting and retaining a diverse and talented workforce.