Architect complex solutions, lead technical discussions and demonstrations, and deploy secure projects for Structured’s customers.
Structured Communication Systems is a leading information technology consultancy and systems integrator. We are experts at architecting and implementing secure and reliable solutions for delivering business applications, ensuring business continuity, enhancing data center performance and efficiency, enabling mobile workers, securing information assets and providing information security and governance.
Structured has an immediate remote opening in the Portland, Oregon, metro area for a Senior Security Engineer (Fortinet skillset strongly preferred). This position is required to execute all technical components of an enterprise sales and delivery cycle. These components include architecting complex solutions, providing demonstrations and presentations, leading technical discussions, developing product customizations, planning and executing customer proofs of concept (PoCs), providing product training and support, and leading rapid deployment efforts including occasional after-hours events. This position includes both pre-sales and post-sales responsibilities.
This position will require travel for short- to medium-term projects based on customer location and project needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
An individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily in order to meet the qualifications required to perform this job successfully. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Design, install, configure, troubleshoot and manage security solutions.
- Research, evaluate and recommend the selection of security-related tools and emerging technologies for clients.
- Interface with end-users for the purpose of designing and implementing security solutions and policy recommendations.
- Translate business requirements into functional/technical specifications.
- Develop solution implementation plans for customers.
- Responsible for increasing the probability of system success, reduce risk and reduce total life-cycle cost.
- Responsible for creating alternative designs to satisfy performance and cost criteria for customers.
- Assist engineers with complex technical tasks including debugging, supporting hardware modules and systems.
- Identify and correct faults and provide resolution of complex problem tickets escalated from Structured’s help desk.
- Effectively communicate Structured’s value proposition through Power Point presentations, proposals, and development of collateral as needed to drive the sales and branding of Structured.
- Assist sales personnel with pre-sales technical support; leverage technical background to identify professional service opportunities in the areas of security, networking, storage/systems, virtualization, and voice/mobility.
- Supervise and check the status of projects and work assignments.
- Document designs and scope projects in a clear, concise and accurate manner.
- Support and provide knowledge transfer to clients.
- Provide input for professional service statements of work (“SOW”) and create SOWs as directed and provide project management services (as needed).
- Promote and maintain the highest standard of customer service at all times.
- Ability to maintain and continually develop accurate product and application knowledge.
- Overcome technical and business objections posed by prospective customers.
- Proactively learn and utilize new technologies, concepts and procedures as necessary based upon project requirements.
- Ability to communicate at all levels of an organization from end-user to senior management about both business and IT needs.
- Excellent project management, project scoping, troubleshooting, problem resolution, documentation and customer management skills required.
- Ability to write clearly and to effectively communicate project status.
Education and Experience
Bachelor degree in Information Systems or equivalent experience. At least 5+ years experience in a technology-related field, including 5+ years experience in network engineering. Previous experience providing solution design and implementation preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of perimeter security solutions (IDS/IPS, Web filtering, Application Filtering and Firewalling)
- Fortinet solutions experience strongly preferred
- Advanced understanding of network engineering, verified by having obtained industry credentials (CCNA/JNCIA)
- Practical Knowledge of Information Security standards and policies like ISO 27001/27002, CIS 20, NIST, Cloud Control Matrix, and others
- Experience with cloud services related to compute, network, storage, content delivery, administration and security, deployment and management, automation technologies. Multicloud (AWS/Azure/Google) desired, but not required
- Knowledge and experience across multiple Information Protection capabilities (security monitoring, threat intelligence, network protection, data protection, endpoint protection, technical security assessments, security architecture)
- Experience in complex enterprise environments with competing business priorities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Self-starter with a high degree of initiative and the ability to effectively prioritize multiple efforts
- An operational mindset, believe change is an opportunity and not be rattled by ambiguity
- Excel in both an independent capacity and in an organized-chaos environments
Preferred Certifications Include:
- Fortinet Level 5 certification or equivalent experience
- CISSP or equivalent desirable
- Palo Alto PCNSE desirable
- Cisco certifications
General Computer Skills
To perform this job successfully, an individual should be an experienced user of the Microsoft Office Suite and have experience with a customer relationship management (CRM) tool, such as the Salesforce.com.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret quotes and reports. Ability to synthesize large amounts of highly technical material into common language for use in reports, effectively present information, and respond to questions from employees, management, vendors and customers.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, stand, sit or step up to access equipment within a data center environment; use hands to, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch and twist. The employee will occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The working conditions characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed in both a general office environment, as well as a data center environment. Within the general office environment both the lighting and temperature are generally moderate. The data center environment is generally cool in temperature and the lighting is moderate; the noise level in the data center environment is generally loud.
Must have a valid Driver’s License and the ability to travel to customer locations and other destinations for short- to medium-term projects. This position may also require an adjusted work schedule and evening hours in order to meet or attend vendor/customer needs. Flexibility to field phone calls, pager or system alerts and provide remote and/or on-site support to clients outside of normal business hours, including weekends and holidays.
Our organization provides a full compensation package that facilitates development and growth. The benefits package includes medical, dental, vision, group life and AD&D insurance, and long and short-term disability coverage and 401(k). We also provide training on mutually agreed upon professional goals through a combination of self-study courses, formal training, and on-the-job training. Obtaining industry-based certifications is highly encouraged.
***We are interested in all qualified candidates that are eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas.***
* Structured is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to supporting and retaining a diverse and talented workforce.
Portland, Oregon metro area